Ko Sichang

Data Source : Ko Sichang
Attraction Name
Ko Sichang
Ko Sichamg District located on the gulf of Thailand, outside the border of Sriracha Sub-district, Chonburi. It is the smallest district of Thailand. Used to be part of Samutprakarn but Ministry of Interior moved it to Chonburi in 1943.
Intro Image
Ko Sichang is a small island situated in the Gulf of Thailand. Its proximity to shipping lanes has made it a convenient anchorage for dozens of barges which trans-ship their cargos to lighter barges for the trip up the Chao Phraya river to Bangkok. Ko Si Chang makes a nice weekend outing for local tourists.While the beaches are not as enjoyable as those on islands further east and south, such as Ko Samet, tourists can explore the remains of a former royal palace which was built as a summer retreat for King Chulalongkorn. The royal residence was abandoned in 1893 when the French occupied the island during a conflict with Thailand over who would control Laos. The island also has many places of religious interest and value.Please be respectful of the local culture and wear modest clothes when visiting the temples and religious shrines. Always remove your shoes and cover your shoulders when entering a holy area. Refraining from topless or nude sunbathing/swimming would also be polite. The island offers beautiful sunsets seen off Taam Pang Beach or Chom Kao Kard. The latter location has a nice walkway, benches and gazebos built onto a hill, all offering great sunset views for free. The walk from the road to the lookout point is quite nice. It consists of many sub-islands - 1.Ko Sampan Yue 2. Ko Kham Noi 3.Ko Kham Yai 4.Ko Prong 5.Ko Ran Dok Mai 6. Ko Yai Thao 7.Ko Khangkhao 8.Ko Thai Ta Muen. The district consists of a single sub-district (tambon) Tha Thewawong, which is further subdivided into seven villages (muban). The district is completely covered by the township (thesaban tambon) Ko Sichang. King Rama IV, Rama V and Rama VI came to the island for rest. King Rama V built a summer palace, named "Phra Chuthathut Palace" after his son who was born on this island. The royal residence was abandoned in 1893 after the French occupied the island during a conflict with Thailand over control of neighboring Laos. In 1900, the palace was torn down and reassembled in Bangkok, where it is now named Vimanmek Mansion.The British diplomat John Crawfurd visited the islands in 1822 during the mission described in his book Journal of an embassy from the Governor-General of India to the courts of Siam and Cochin-China: exhibiting a view of the actual state of those kingdoms. He reports that Francis Buchanan-Hamilton called the islands of Ko Sichang District the "Dutch Islands", and Ko Sichang itself as "Amsterdam", due to frequent visits by ships of the Dutch East India Company during the 17th century.American diplomat Edmund Roberts visited the district in the 1830s.The island was originally a minor district (king amphoe) under the Mueang District of Samut Prakan Province. As of 1 January 1943 it was reassigned to the Si Ratcha District of Chonburi. On 4 July 1994 the minor district was upgraded to a full district.
Koh Si Chang is a small picturesque island in the Gulf of Thailand. With its relaxed atmosphere and slow pace of life, the island is a haven of tranquility not far from the hustle and bustle of Pattaya and Bangkok.Among its draws are the beaches with clear waters, beautiful sunsets and outdoor activities as snorkeling, biking and kayaking. The island’s restaurants always have a steady supply of fresh seafood like crab, squid and prawn.Koh Si Chang’s only town on the North East tip of the island is lined with narrow lanes and small colorful houses. As private cars are not allowed on the island, traffic is very light.The island can be reached by ferry from Si Racha in about 45 minutes. Although a small island, Koh Si Chiang features a number of historical sites, temples, beaches and lots of natural beauty. Distances are small and there is hardly any traffic making exploring the island a relaxed undertaking. Koh Si Chang houses several beaches with usually clear waters.A sandy beach with some rocks, Tham Phang beach on the West coast is the island’s biggest beach. Deck chairs shaded by parasols are for rent, as well as kayaks. Several restaurants serve simple Thai dishes and drinks. Usually the beach is quiet, except on weekends and Thai public holidays.Around the island are several smaller, even quieter beaches with very little or no facilities. In the interior of the island between Tham Phang beach and the old town is Wat Tham Yai Prik Buddhist temple and meditation center. A stairway flanked by the mythological Naga serpent leads up to the ornate temple building. From here you will have great views of Koh Si Chang island, the surrounding islands and the Gulf of Thailand.A little higher up the hill is a very large golden colored image of the Buddha. The seated image overlooks the small town and the sea. Just North of town and Tha Lang pier where the ferry arrives is a Chinese temple known as the Chao Pho Khao Yai Shrine, or “Shrine of the Father Spirit of the Great Mountain”. The shrine dedicated to the spirit is housed in one of the many caves.Going back many centuries, the shrine is believed to have been founded by Chinese traders passing the island by boat. During Chinese New Year the shrine is visited by thousands of pilgrims from across Asia. Near the Chinese temple, a little higher up the hill is a replica of a Buddha footprint housed in a Sala, a Thai style open pavilion. Next to it, on top of a rock stands a small golden pagoda. Thai people come here to pay homage to the Buddha footprint.Although the fairly steep climb of more than 500 steps requires quite a bit of effort, the views of the old town, the port and the Gulf of Thailand are great.The stairs to the Sala start behind the Chao Pho Khao Yai Shrine. About halfway down Koh Si Chang’s East coast is Judhadhut Palace, built by King Chulalongkorn around 1890 as the summer residence for the Royal Family.When the island was briefly occupied by the French in 1893, the palace was deserted. The main building Vimanmek Mansion which is completely build of teak wood was dismantled and rebuild at Dusit Palace in Bangkok. Several structures remain including the beautifully restored green Ruen Mai Rim Talay building and the wooden Atsadang Bridge, which was the pier where the King’s boat landed.The palace gardens with its ponds, extensive walkways and seaside location make for a relaxing walk.
Responsible authority
Tha Thewawong Ko Sichang Chon Buri 20120
Tha Thewawong Ko Sichang Chon Buri 20120
Telephone, Fax, Mobile
038 216 141
0 3821 6201
Website URL
Contact Name
Opening hours
Sunday 07:00 - 20:00
Monday 07:00 - 20:00
Tuesday 07:00 - 20:00
Wednesday 07:00 - 20:00
Thursday 07:00 - 20:00
Friday 07:00 - 20:00
Saturday 07:00 - 20:00
Opening hours remark
Proper range
Cost rate
Cost rate remark
Use time
Appropriate group of tourists
Working Persons
Students / Youths / Teenagers
Arts & Culture / History
Social Network
Transportation remark
Waste Recycles Waste Separation Electricity Plumbing CCTV Camera Emergency Exit Fire Extinguisher Security Guard Primary First Aid Unit First Aid Unit Alarm Wifi Telephone Signal Internet Signal Post Office Wastewater Treatment
Find out more